May 29-June 2, 2017 &
July 17-21, 2017
Registration Opens on Monday, April 17, 2017, at 9am
Denali Backcountry Adventures (DBA) is a week-long backpacking expedition for high school students interested in exploring Denali’s vast wilderness. DBA is open to students entering high school (9th-12th grades) in the fall. No prior experience is necessary – if you are adventurous, have a positive attitude, and are interested in improving your wilderness and leadership skills, this expedition will be the highlight of your summer!
To provide local high-school students with quality learning experiences through an extended expedition in the backcountry of Denali National Park and Preserve.
- Provide an opportunity for students to experience the wilderness of Denali National Park and Preserve.
- Promote understanding, appreciation and stewardship of the subarctic ecosystem.
- Develop and hone outdoor leadership skills.
- Cultivate backcountry skills and methods consistent with National Park Service standards.
- Create a physically, mentally, and emotionally safe environment for students to challenge themselves.
- Develop an atmosphere that encourages students to equate learning with fun.
The staff of Denali Backcountry Adventures is a supportive team that works together with a shared vision to provide students a fun, informative adventure in Denali National Park and Preserve. We pride ourselves on creating an engaging learning atmosphere in an outdoor setting with a student to instructor ratio of four-to-one.
Backpacking in Denali National Park and Preserve
Denali National Park and Preserve provides a stunning classroom for studying undisturbed taiga and tundra and experiencing firsthand an untrammeled wilderness. Denali is unique in its backcountry management procedures and has few established routes or backcountry campsites. Traveling in this environment requires that we design our own adventure by choosing the route. Along with this opportunity comes the responsibility to protect the wilderness resource for future users by adhering to the principles of Leave No Trace.
DBA Students Celebrate Wilderness!
In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act, we asked Denali Backcountry students what wilderness means to them. Watch the video to hear what these future stewards had to say.
Scott Menke Memorial Scholarship Application 2016